Grace notes
I have an incurable love not just for old hymns, but specifically for the exquisite poetry in the lyrics. So many of them are being lost in dusty hymnbooks and seldom ring out in worship, much less linger in our minds in ways that enrich our existence. From time to time I'll post some of my favorites, lines that make me think and that give the symphony a voice. . .
Here's one that's had particularly vivid meaning for me in the past four years. . .
Heav'n above is softer blue
Earth around is sweeter green!
Something lives in ev'ry hue
Christless eyes have never seen
.jpg)

2 Comments:
I, being 26, am very unfamiliar with old hymns (attending churches with more comtemporary music doesn't help that) but when I have the time to stop and read and think about one... I find they are truly different and meaningful. This you posted ... I read three times... and that's the difference I see in worship songs today and of yester-year. I "got it" on my first read, but after three reads... I really appreciated it... it stuck out in a way that it would have not otherwise if I skimmed over it...
making sense?
Thank you for sharing this and having me stop for a second and see the beauty in old hymns.
Johanna, thank you so much for your thoughtful response. Now I'm even more glad I put this up. . .glad you found something to chew on. I grew up when worship music was making the change from hymns to praise choruses, and I love both. But being one who loves and appreciates (and occasionally writes) poetry, I'm especially drawn to hymns, because I don't see much poetry in our worship music these days. The art of crafting with words has fallen out of favor in many circles and that makes me sad. . .so here in my little corner of the world I'm going to make my "statement" and hope that someone like you appreciates :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home