Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The melancholy sets in. . .

This week, John and I face an event which, no matter how many times we encounter it, never fails to bring on the blues. . .

This weekend CJ will move from our home and move in to her new residence--a small apartment in the home of the family for whom she works. She'll have her own bathroom, small kitchen, and two rooms at the top of a lovely old Victorian home in the historic King William district of San Antonio, with a private balcony overlooking the San Antonio River. The situation is wonderful. . . .perfect for her job, study needs, etc., and perfect for her host family, having her on the premises so her hours can be as flexible as they all desire.

It's very satisfying to see her begin this new season of life. It's a gentle beginning: she will be just 45 minutes away; she'll live with and work for a Christian homeschooling family of five, doing all the domestic things she loves and is so good at doing; she'll still be around for our famous Family Dinner Nights and other important occasions, as well as just being able to drop in whenever she feels like it. So it's not as traumatic as if she were getting on a plane to another continent--we've known that trauma before! But still, it brings on all the melancholy and introspection that come with the ending of one portion of our parental responsibilities. And if you know CJ, you know that her leaving our household, no matter how many people live here, will leave a gaping hole. There's no one like her. Her steadiness, her dry wit, her capable hands, her thoughtful conversation, her way with the little ones, all will be deeply missed. That said, there's no one more ready to move into this next season than she, and her whole family recognizes that. She has proven herself not only responsible and capable, but she's also exhibited a servant's heart that is unmatched. For those reasons, she makes these changes with our blessings and support and even applause. . . and misty eyes.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

If CJ seems like the favorite, its that she is. Really, how many people at my age (29 on Sat.) say that one of their best friends is 18. CJ is great at everything, but the "A team" has realized that she's definitely "one of us" now, a fabulous sister and friend.,

Tue Aug 16, 03:30:00 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

People have asked my Father what he (and my Mother) did to have all five of their children "turn out" so well. He has always responded, "That's what we planned for and expected". Simple, yet tru. As you read Cathi's words above, I only add that CJ is so ready to move into this "season" because Cathi and I planned and expected that. Just as we have planned and expected that for all of our nine children. That doesn't mean some of the days weren't harder than others, that some of the planning was, at times, on the fly. But always, always, our expectation was, and is, that our sons and dauthers will live to bring glory to the cause of Christ. CJ is continuing that expectation. And she is everything her Mother said she is.

Tue Aug 16, 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Ok, there must be some smoke in the room... I'll be right back.

Tue Aug 16, 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Yes I concur with everything said, and agree with Kris that Sis is one of my best friends too. If its possible to look up to a younger (and shorter) sibling, I do. And even though I don't live in the same city anymore I will miss her more when she moves out of my father's house!!

Tue Aug 16, 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger Lyric said...

nothing to add except tears and prayers that God's continued blessing and plan unfolds with peace and joy.

Wed Aug 17, 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Oh good, another blogger in our family! Miranda, have you seen the family blog?

Wed Aug 17, 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So am I to presume that each post will always have a response from Kristen, John and Annie? *lol*

Hey all - this is Jane here (last name not to be divulged thank you very much, but I'm the spawn of Jake & Marsha). Mom told me about the family blog and I just had to come and take a look - I look forward to seeing into the lives of some of my favorite long-time family friends!

Wait, did Kristen say she was going to be 29? Oy vey...*Jaynee goes off to pluck the grey hairs from her head*

Wed Aug 17, 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

Hello Jane...or should I say "Hane"? How is life in the Big Apple? We live in the Big Enchilada (actually no one but me calls San Antonio that...ah well). Tell your sister to "visit" us as well.

Wed Aug 17, 09:48:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Dad, you're not supposed to divulge vital information like that!! Now she's gonna have to change her name and relocate. Sorry, Jane!

Annie

Wed Aug 17, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

Hey what about me? I used to live in Del Boca Vista, next door to the Seinfelds. I had to move here.

Wed Aug 17, 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Jane! Wow -- I think you were my babysitter! But, lest you feel too old, I have been covering my gray for almost 10 years now. I have way more gray than an unnamed older sister of mine, and I am way resentful. Seriously, welcome to the Warren chaos!

Wed Aug 17, 10:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually in the armpit of the big apple (also known as New Joisey), and it goes well.

I'll definitely send Jen over here, although she may come on her own since Mom sent the link to both of us!

I've provided a link to my site should you wish to see my blog (although I talk about a LOT of pop culture stuff because I'm shallow like that).

Thu Aug 18, 09:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home