Friday, Week 2.
We're finishing up our second week of our 21st year of homeschooling. So far, we've had a few good days, one or two near perfect ones, and a couple of those that come every so often where I look up and think, "Remind me why we're doing this?"
And then there are the moments that wash over me as I remember that I have no more little ones to teach. . .at least not ones for whom I bear the primary responsibility. I'll never again teach a first-grader to read, never explain long division to a third-grader, never hold the hand of a little one trying to write a "B" between the lines. . . .There's a sadness there, and yet a sense of completion as I teach each "grade" for the last time. An experience with a true taste of the bitter and the sweet all in one mouthful.
Adding, though, to the "sweet" is the fact that already two of my daughters, homeschooled themselves and so fully aware of the joys AND the pitfalls, have given me the opportunity to walk alongside them as they begin the strenuous journey of teaching their little ones. Good thing, too, because there are some things I feel like I'm just now, in my third decade on this road, getting good at! I'm glad they're not letting my experiences go to waste. What a joy to see them setting their faces toward the same goals that we did and walking straight toward those goals, even on the "Remind me?" days. And what a privilege to help them as we go. . .sharing books, sharing ideas about how to teach multiplication tables, sharing field trips and co-ops, sharing the exhaustion that is part and parcel of this life.
So. . .this week I praise and seek help from
.jpg)

5 Comments:
I am unable to put into words the love and admiration I have for Cathi, my bride these 32 years. She, more than any person I know, has been so committed to this calling of teaching our children. Her faithfulness and perseverance and patience and courage and love for her children (and for me!) are witness to her commitment. I count it a privilege to have been a small part of this 21 year journey of teaching these nine that God entrusted to us. And my heart swells with pride every time I see a young mother bring her questions and struggles seeking advice and assurance that the good days will indeed outnumber the hard days. So, please reread the original post and lift Cathi up for continued grace and strength. As I've told her thousands of times, "I'm a lucky duck".
Ok Dad, you can't say that many nice things, cause there's nothing left for the rest of us to say. I love you, Mom!
Ok, you have five years to get your stuff and get moved out here so I can get help with homeschooling.
'we've had a few good days, one or two near perfect ones, and a couple of those that come every so often where I look up and think, "Remind me why we're doing this?"'
For those of us in our 'beginning' with only 5 or 6 years, this is an encouragement! Thank you for ALL the encouragement that you've given me over the years. :) Love and hugs! Erin
Hey, if you ever want to move to NJ (or NC should we move there in a couple of years) you can 'home'school my kids for me - I dread their going to public school!
Post a Comment
<< Home