Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sprucing up


I've updated my "bedside table" list on the sidebar...an eclectic mix that reflects who I am: cooking, decorating, history, cultural observation. That's only a smattering of my interests, but I can only read so many books at once :-)

Recently finished and HIGHLY recommended: The Promise: The Moving Story of a Family in the Holocaust. I'm screening lots of literature related to the 20th century for our history study in the fall, and this is definitely one I will be having the kids, even the younger ones, read. I also finished a classic that I had previously missed (not surprising, given my paltry education), My Antonia by Willa Cather. It was my first experience reading a book online and it wasn't as difficult as I had thought...just read a chapter or two a night after being tucked in bed and didn't even have to have the light on!

I've also added a section for movies. I'll be screening a lot of films that relate to the time period we'll be studying, as well as other films of interest to me. I love documentaries, musicals, dramas, some romantic comedies. I'll share a few, not all, of the ones that cross my player, along with my "star" rating in case you're interested in my recommendations. (If it has no stars, I'm still trying to find time to stick it in the player...)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lyric said...

Well, my bedside table isn't nearly as exciting... :)

I would add "Failure to Launch" to your movie list and two books to your stack of "must reads."

"Night" by Elie Wiesel and "Dispatches from the Edge" by Anderson Cooper.

Mon Jul 17, 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger T2Irish said...

Thanks for the plug for The Promise! It was truly a labor of love for my sister-in-law. If anyone is interested in a website related to the book, see
www.rememberachild.org

The paintings my sister-in-law has drawn will be hanging in Notre Dame College's(Cleveland/South Euclid, OH)Hall of Tolerance from Oct-Dec. Eva's play will be put on by the college, with Eva in town the week prior.

Mon Jul 17, 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger dirksgirl said...

ive been meaning to rent three burials, did you watch it?

Wed Jul 19, 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Lyric said...

I haven't seen Three Burials, Aubrey. Let me know let me know what you think.

I guess Cathi doesn't want to list "Failure to Launch" on her home page (it's definitely not an intellectually motivating flick)but she really enjoyed it immensely!! :)

Thu Jul 20, 02:13:00 AM  
Blogger T2Irish said...

I know for a fact that Cathi watched 3 burials for about, oh, 20 minutes, according to our email exchanges. The first email she had just put the movie in, 20 minutes later she'd yanked it. Something about "pure filth."

Thu Jul 20, 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger dirksgirl said...

oh okay. good to know

Thu Jul 20, 06:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home