It's times like this...
...that I remember why I told my husband many years ago that I'd follow him anywhere, but that when he was through with the PCS's he'd better not choose to settle down in south Texas.
Good thing I didn't tack an "or else" onto that. Tonight would be the "else."
Seems that a month of 100+ temps has worn out our primary air conditioning unit (the one that cools the downstairs) and we have been sitting, very still, in a sweltering house all day. Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever had an air conditioner go out during the work week? I'm formulating a hypothesis here that it never happens...that air conditioning units are pre-programmed to come to the end of their lives between Friday sunset and Sunday sunrise. This, of course, was set in motion by the huge and powerful lobby of air conditioner repairmen who count on 1) huge overtime charges on the few weekends that they choose to work, and 2) sweat-drenched homeowners who've made it through a weekend and will now put up with any amount of rudeness, tardiness, mumbling, and unintelligible mechanic-speak for the faint hope of restoring the previous definition of "room temperature."
Forgive me, I'd stay and narrate my day for you, but it's time to change into dry clothes, again, and fill an ice pack to take to bed with me....
.jpg)

9 Comments:
Oh yuk. I don't miss that part.
Must be going around because ours broke last week. It did go out on Monday, but it was late so they still didn't make it until Tuesday. Of course I had been baking all day so it was already 80 in here, so it didn't take long for it to reach 90. I think it was 90 when we went to bed and maybe got done to 85 during the night. Even though they fixed it Tuesday morning it didn't get below 80 until that night.
Yuk is right. When we were young, we kept spray bottles on hand. The mist made us feel special... and the 2 seconds of cool was about all we could afford. LOL
I thought I had applied to work in the cool part of San Antonio when I retired. You know, the part with the breezes and north winds. Not sure what happened. But at least we still have each other.
Um,Papa, that was San Antonio, Ibiza, SPAIN...not Texas.
Darn those dream sheets! Foiled again!
Oh, and Johanna, I'm taking the spray bottle to bed with me tonight :-)
What am I? Potted Plant?
The only thing that might top that is if it's a government operation...
In 1998, we were living in OKC and I was about 5 months pregnant with Aubrey. About 3 or 4 pm on a Wednesday, when the temp was 100+, our AC went out in our base house. We called the maintenance people. They hadn't shown up by the time we needed to leave for church, so we figured they weren't coming and went on to church (they had an AC).
When we got home we found a note from maintenance saying they'd missed us. ARG!!! The next morning they came by and fixed it. Kelly and I could NOT believe it when he told us the problem. Seems that a few years before this, the base had installed energy saving devices on all the ACs of the base houses. When the outside temperature went over 98, the AC would SHUT OFF, only to allow the fan to blow!!! Needless to say, the repair guy said that they've had to disconnect them as they got too many complaints about them.
Well, DUH!!! That's "government intelligence" for ya.
Post a Comment
<< Home