yeah, it's one of those nights. . .
. . .when I'd love to sit here in bed and write something melodic, something so vivid and picturesque that you'd immediately know what I'm feeling. It isn't in me tonight. I'm fried.
Heard a song on the way home from the hospital tonight, one I haven't heard in a long time. Not the kind my girls would quote from, but hey, I came of age in the seventies.
Doctor, my eyes have seen the years
And the slow parade of fears without crying
Now I want to understand
Well, today I'm sick of talking to doctors. . .these are questions I'll ask God. But tonight, the slow parade of fears threatens to mow me down.
A daughter lies in a hospital bed with unresolved pain and twenty holes in her arms and her back.
There are new concerns about my own health.
A dear friend and his family are facing a diagnosis of leukemia.
Other serious concerns in the lives of those closest to me.
"Now I want to understand."
I know. . .I have a God who understands and sees and is in perfect control. But tonight, just one night, I want to see too. That's what exhaustion does. It takes away my perspective and makes me prone to make demands of God. Just enough sight, Lord, to hold it all more loosely. Just enough light to keep me from feeling that I'm going to fall over the next surprise and never stop falling.
I don't have a neat way to wrap this all up. Tonight, it is what it is. . .
Doctor, my eyes
Cannot see the sky
Is this the price for having learned how not to cry
.jpg)

4 Comments:
Cathi, your words were vivid and picturesque, you succeeded in conveying what you're feeling.
We came of age in the same era, I remember that song. Its melody will linger through the night as I continue praying.
Where's that peace that passes understanding? I don't have any answers, no trite phrases...just a heart that walks alongside, seeing His fingerprints and trusting they will continue to be evident tomorrow.
Tonight I'm praying to the Doctor, the Great Physician, for wisdom, strength, and peace for you and the entire crew. I can't help but return to words that comforted me during Nathanael's stem cell transplant...
"Lord, only You see the treasure in the darkness, the riches stored in secret places. Until you are ready to reveal them to us, give us your grace for the waiting. Amen."
~ Verdell Davis
Ahhh. . . .those riches stored in secret places. Tonight, I'd like Him to let me in on some of the secrets.
But then they wouldn't be secret, would they. . .?
I too have prayed for God to loosen my (unecessary) grasp on the things about which I worry. I think we grasp because we think if we don't, we'll fall into some black hole, away from those we love who are hurting. The truth is that when we let go, we can hold the hurting much more closely. But sometimes the hurting is us.
I'm late in the game here... been a bit "offline"... but had to post that this thread about made me cry. You wrote it beautifully, Cathi... and the thinking it wasn't and writing just as it was, maybe that's why it was so moving. And Kristen... what you said... the truth is powerful in it.
Post a Comment
<< Home