In every change, He faithful will remain. . .
Not an easy day today. We learned this afternoon that John's father has cancer. I have no poetic words, no flowery phrases, no coherent insights. Just sorrow. John is in Hawaii, where he was two months ago when he found out that I might, too, have cancer. He's going to be afraid to go back! And tonight he sits an ocean away, wishing he could be with us.
My father-in-law is a man bigger than life. He was a giant on the mission field, a giant as a pastor, a giant as the patriarch of our tribe. He remains a giant in the eyes of his children, his grandchildren, his great-grandchildren, and a host of admirers. In a few days he will be 82, but he remains as engaged in the lives of those around him as when he was 42.
Today is a reminder that even being a giant doesn't mean immortality. . .at least not in this world. Thankfully, this is not his world. . .
.jpg)

6 Comments:
My father had his first heart attack when he was 46 and his doctors told him he might not see 50. Here we are almost 40 years later and as Cathi said, he interacts and engages as if he were still the other side of 50. My brothers and sisters and I learned about the cause of Christ, about life, about people, about doing things because you should, not just things you want to do, from our father. And our children and grandchildren are still learning those lessons. He is a man of God.
And you, my love, are like him in all the best ways.
And there are no words to ease the pain or reality of what lies ahead. Just a reminder that you are all surrounded by love and prayers and that Scripture promises He is with us, always. Regardless of whether we're driving our car to the grocery store or waiting for treatment options for cancer. He is on His throne and tonight I cast this news, your sense of uncertainty and fear at His feet and wait...
He will show Himself faithful.
I remember the moment I was told that Nathanael had cancer. Life changed, forever. But because of God's faithfulness and goodness many of those ways have been precious treasures we would never trade.
In your heartache, remember His heart aches too. You are not alone.
I firmly believe that us Warren kids were (and continue to be) shaped a great deal by my grandfather's influence. I have never met a man so respected and revered by so many people, and yet so humble himself. There is nothing more precious than building a legacy of faith AND works, and he is still doing that to this day...
Its hard to imagine a day without him at the helm of the family...we've known it would come. We are so blessed to have had him this long, to have our children know him. And while we pray for more years, we know that God has a time for weeping. I wept a lot at the news, and hope that more weeping will be so far down the road...
What a tribute...
Clearly, his legacy is alive and well.
You're all in my prayers.
Post a Comment
<< Home