The shadow of a mighty rock within a weary land
I remember reading years ago that 40 was an awful age because it was somewhere during that year that you woke up one morning and realized that your body was turning against you. I must not have been 40 yet, because I remember laughing. I mean, really laughing! Turning against you? As if it had a mind of its own? (Think about that one for a while and it will tie you in knots!) Well, whoever said that was surely neurotic or melodramatic or fighting a very bad migraine or all of the above. Because mine was going to be just fine, thank you. Mind over matter. Age is just a state of mind. Life begins at 40. All that stuff. There. See? It's fine.
And then. . .I opened my eyes one morning and then closed them really fast because I realized: my body had turned against me. Okay, so I was closer to 46 and it wasn't all in one morning, but the suddenness was startling. What happened and in what order isn't important to recount here; what's important is admitting that it really does feel like the betrayal of an old and trusted friend when it happens. And whether it happens in a morning or over five years, it's no less traumatic. That loyal friend, that companion on life's journey suddenly becomes the adversary, the obstacle to all that still lies out there to accomplish. You can't go on without it; you can't trade it in on a newer model; you can't call in the warranty; and so you slowly come to the conclusion that you must drag it 'round as best you can and adjust life around it in a myriad of ways until you call a truce. Trouble is, once you've called the truce the terms are liable to change without notice. And the negotiating starts all over.
To those of you who haven't yet awakened to that forty-year-old morning, this may all sound humorous. . .and many days, it is. But for me, there is a weariness in it, a longing for rest. I don't mean that to sound morbid. I believe that there's purpose in the weariness. In it I'm reminded that there is a reality that overshadows this life. . . .that I mustn't become too comfortable in a land where I travel with alien status. God knows that, at least for some of us, too much comfort means, well, too much comfort. When I'm too much "at home" in this earthly shell, it's time to be reminded that I'm waiting for a new body, one that will never have to have diseased parts removed and replaced with titanium and plastic ones. Someday I won't swallow a mouthful of pills to keep hot flashes or depression at bay or keep blood sugar down and iron levels up. But in the meantime, I have the unspeakable privilege of calling for help from the Great Physician and leaning on Him for the grace to get through each day. Even when it starts with a morning where I'm scared to open my eyes. . . .
.jpg)

4 Comments:
Aging. It sure can feel like the road less traveled, a journey into an endless night where sleep once reigned supreme. But then I remind myself that aging in a natural process, a journey no one escapes. And that until we get our redeemed bodies these don't come with a lifetime guarantee of youthful functioning and freedom!
Sadness over what once was is real and normal. God wired us to grieve over things lost. But as always His promises are not subject to the number of years on a calendar and so our faith in His goodness regardless of ticking clock...
I'm writing this just after 3 am having changed into a dry nightgown, not because I accidentally took a shower in it but because another hot flash decided I needed to wake up drenched! Some nights it angers me. Most nights it frustrates me. But each and every night I must remind myself I'm grateful to be alive, in whatever condition I find myself.
This is a unique season of faith's roots growing deep, a retraining of my eyes, and a setting my heart on things above, things of eternal value. While my heart may skip a beat here and there it's still true thatwhere my heart is, there is my treasure. So as you, I place it in His hands. Fragile as life takes it told but resilient because He promises I can be a useful vessel in whatever state I find myself in...
These many just be some incoherent hormonal ramblings that I'll ask you to delete when morning light arrives... LOL But for now I'll let them stand as a simple declaration that while my body betrays me, He does not.
The scripture declares that His ways are not our ways and with a fervor and conviction I've never known before I boldly proclaim that to be oh so true... :)
My simple prayer is that He will be the glue that holds the broken pieces of this body and heart together, knowing that when I see Him face-to-face and it will no longer matter if the torn ACL has my knee is acting up or my estrogen is down.
Until then...the journey continues in the land of faith, often filled with more fog than clarity, but forever and always filled with His promises.
Love you muchly
yeah, uh, if you've got a few years to spare, would you be my friend? i could definitely use a friend like you. . .
:-)
While its been hard to watch you travel this hard road the past few years, I'm glad if I've been able to help in small ways -- to help you worry less about the "little things" while you figure out a new normal for yourself. I always pray that you'll get a much needed respite from the onslaught of health problems, and I hope that when it comes, it will last the rest of your life!
Even in these "shadow days", I still see the bride that awaited me up on those steps at the church. And she is even more beautiful today than she was that day. I cannot walk for you, but I promised years ago to always walk beside you (even if we have to coordinate our limps!)and will always cherish the journey.
Post a Comment
<< Home