Sunday, October 16, 2005

Morning reading

Check out Mark Steyn's column in the Chicago Sun-Times. I really like a guy who will call a spade a spade, or in this case call an insurgent an Islamic militant. And kudos to the Toronto Star for being willing to be slightly politically incorrect. Most other papers these days ascribe to the maxim,

"There are no enemies, just friends whose grievances we haven't yet accommodated."

Follow that with Mort Zuckerman's excellent piece for USNews & World Report. Iraq and the war on terror may seem interminable, but in Zuckerman's words,

"One definition of American genius is lasting five minutes longer than the other side. This is no time to abandon that time-tested virtue."

4 Comments:

Blogger Lyric said...

OK...outstanding article.

"Anyone can be tolerant of the tolerant, but tolerance of intolerance gives an even more intense frisson of pleasure to the multiculti- masochists. And so Islamists who murder non-Muslims in pursuit of explicitly Islamic goals are airbrushed into vague, generic "rebel forces." You can't tell the players without a scorecard, and that's just the way the Western media intend to keep it."

I believe, however, it's not just the fault of the "Western Media."

Sun Oct 16, 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lyric said...

And Zuckerman's quote - excellent.

Bottom line: I'm stymied by any that doesn't grasp that "Pulling U.S. forces out of Iraq too soon would be the equivalent of rocket fuel for the Islamofascists."

Thanks for the good reading on this day of rest.

Sun Oct 16, 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I love Steyn. I love it that once in a while, not often enough to be annoying but once in a while, he uses a word that I have to go look up. I did not know the word "frisson" but rightly suspected it was from the French. . .so now there's a new one in my vocabulary :-)

Steyn lives and works in both Quebec and London (he's Canadian)and so some of his columns have allusions to things British that go right over the heads of us Americans, but I always enjoy his viewpoint.

If you're ever thirsty for more, his website is at steynonline.com. Be sure to check the page "linesonsteyn"

Sun Oct 16, 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

good articles! we need more of that while support is waning.... too bad America doesn't read anymore.

Mon Oct 17, 07:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home