I was stunned to read. . .
Scores of Mississippi National Guard troops in Iraq who lost homes to the Hurricane have been refused even 15-day leaves to aid their displaced families, told by commanders there were too few U.S. troops in Iraq to spare them...
I cannot imagine the agony of a young man with a wife and three children displaced by Katrina, possibly not even knowing their whereabouts or safety, not being allowed a two-week leave to find them and help them get resettled. It is beyond me. I'm a supporter of what we're doing in Iraq, but I sit here stunned to think that we can't find enough replacements for a few hundred troops who need to go hug their wives and kids and help them start life again. . .
.jpg)

8 Comments:
Unfortunately, I wasn't "stunned" but I was extremely saddened. Perhaps I'm simply jaded by my own experience, but the declaration that the military cares for their own as family, well, at times like these we witness its existence in word, not in deed.
Just had an interesting discussion with Nathanael about this. His perspective is this...
"Yes, we're sold that the military takes care of their own AFTER the primary objectives have been met. After the duties of service have been met. Not before. The mission dictates. Plain and simple."
You should have heard his tone - the sergeant was in the house!
I can't imagine that those families will feel MORE patriotic, MORE supportive of the war on terror after being told, in essence, that the loss of all that they know is unimportant.
I certainly agree that it won't help increase support! Support that would have served the families and the public at large with some much needed positive and compassionate action. While I'm not one that hangs lives by the "approval ratings" it can't be overlooked that Bush has hit a new low (39% vs 80% in 2001. It's decisions like this just pile on...
During 27 years in the AF, the "Mission Firs, People Always" mantra was chanted at all of the appropriate gatherings, especially when the wing commander would call of his squadron commanders for an annual "drink the kool-aid" meeting. I very quickly got the "not a team player" appelation when I said that statement was a bunch of BS. Even the words are patronizing. I decided that if I took care of the folks AND their families, THEY would indeed take care of the mission. And I did it in that order. The military writ large, and the Army specifically, are more often than not their own worst enemy when it comes to PR. This latest decision will do exactly what Cathi suggested, erode those families' trust in the Army, their government and the goals of this administration.
Um...that would be Kristen's suggestion above. Sorry.
Yeah, well, don't let it happen again, ok Dad?
I feel strongly on this and appreciate John's words and experience... Kristen said it easily, and I know the pain of being told by the Army that my own family doesn't matter. When I put in for compassionate reassignment, the Army told me it had to be my dad or husband and that brothers "didn't count." The Army certainly is it's worst enemy and they have no idea what PR is...
Post a Comment
<< Home