Monday, February 20, 2006

I'm digging in...

...to my new book this evening. My UPS man delivered it just moments ago and I'm so anxious to read that I've set aside everything else to dip into the first chapter. It's The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language by John McWhorter (link on my sidebar). I didn't need any coaxing to read a book by this author--he's delightful--so when John emailed me from work this week and asked if I'd heard about it, it took me approximately 30 seconds to find it on amazon and hit "place order." I can't yet give it a personal recommendation, but from the reviews I can tell I'll be doing that soon. In the meantime, Kirkus Reviews says

A learned, lively tour through the lush garden of human languages....An
entertaining, instructive Henry Higgins of a volume: it'll transform readers
into enraptured Eliza Doolittles.

Repeat after me, "The raaaain in Spaaaain falls maaaaainly on the plaaaaain."

I could have dahnced all night, but I think I'll be reading instead :-)

UPDATE: 85 pages in, I'm hooked! Aside from the evolutionary vantage point, the book is fascinating, fun, and right up my alley....if you love language, you'll love this book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home